Sunday, May 31, 2009

Garden Planting

I planted my garden in stages this year. My nieces Alyssa and Annika were here on my birthday, and Alyssa helped me plant the corn seeds and cucumber starts in a new garden spot I made along our back fence. The corn must like the location because the seeds have germinated very well! I've got a whole bunch of little green spears poking out of the ground back there, and the cucumber starts are flourishing well so far too.

I finished my planting on May 26 after we returned home from our Memorial Day weekend camping trip. I had another nice helper-girl with me as I planted the main garden. Abby puttered around with me as I laid out the rows, and she very much wanted to help pound the stakes in.

Putting the seeds in the ground brought about some very sweet memories for me. Abby wanted to be involved with that too, so I held her hand palm-up and sprinkled a few seeds in her palm, then helped her scatter them in the row. I remember my daddy doing that with me when I was young, and it was very sweet to experience it with my own daughter, and remember my daddy's strong hand holding mine as he sprinkled seeds in my hand. I would've loved to take pictures of the moment, but my hands were too full with juggling seed packets and keeping my little helper and the seeds from being scattered hither and yon.









Thank you, Daddy, for teaching me how to plant a garden and for giving me the groundwork for this special memory. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment