Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Growing Up



Abby is 22-1/2 months old now, and the most notable recent achievement is that SHE'S STARTING TO TALK!!! I worked at the office for a few hours 4 out of 5 days last week, and almost didn't go to work on Wednesday because of what Abby did in the morning. When she got out of bed, she went straight to her book box and started pulling out books. There was a new Living Country Life magazine sitting there, and she opened it up and saw a picture of a tractor. I identified the things I saw in the pictures like I always do, and for the first time SHE COPIED ME!!! She said "tac-tor"! It was so exciting!!! I tried her out on several other things, and she made an effort to say many of the words. She has been making toddler noises for awhile, but most of them aren't understandable (dg dg dg dk dk dk), some of them are (mama, dada, ball, and her own versions of Snickers, Amen, thank you, etc). In this past week, we've heard her say "thank you", "tac-tor", "cac-r" (cracker), and this morning she said a clear "NO" for the first time. None of these words are part of her regular daily vocabulary yet, but she will say them on command (sometimes....).

We had the bathroom scale out for weighing some bulk chicken breasts I had bought the other day. Abby saw us standing on the scale, and so of course she wanted to do it too! The scale registered about 30 lbs for her, but it is not accurate, and she had a lot of clothes on at the time. I'm guessing she's somewhere in the 25 lb range, but I don't know for sure.



Randy and I are on our computers frequently as we check emails and news, and Abby, being a 21st century kid, is getting acquainted with them too. She feels so big when she sits on our chairs, and she's even been caught moving the mouse around and/or typing on the keyboard.





She didn't like me taking this picture of her checking out her blog...




Here she is "reading" a recent edition of Country magazine. We keep our magazines in the bathroom for "downtime reading". Abby likes digging thru the rack and looking at the pictures. She's especially fond of animal pictures.

Monday (when Emily was here) as such a beautiful, sunny day that we went outside for a little bit. The girls found this old truck which we had inherited with the house, and both played with it for a few minutes (separately, of course!). Abby figured out how to sit on it, a skill which definitely was photo-worthy for Mommy. It's pretty rickety, and wouldn't roll like she wanted it to, but it was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment